Thrive Counselling Cumbernauld was formed in 2016. Our lead practitioner Jenny is committed to offering confidential counselling that can help you address your individual needs and issues, within a safe and friendly environment with flexible appointment times.
Hi I’m Jenny Bell (nee McLintock) and I am available for one to one Counselling and counselling supervision in Cumbernauld (Carron House, next to St Mungo’s Church) during Weekday weeknights, Wednesday daytime-evenings and Friday daytimes.
You might be thinking about counselling as you are struggling in some way, such as with anxiety, low mood, poor self-esteem, negative habits or issues from your past.
You may not feel able to talk to those in your life about your issues; you might worry about burdening them, feel embarrassed, they don’t understand or are a part of your concerns.
I can offer you a safe, supportive and confidential space to work together through the issues you may be having. Counselling can help you to understand yourself better, improve your relationships and to work towards leading a more fulfilling life.
I offer an experienced integrative approach to counselling with over 10 years working and volunteering in the counselling field. I was originally trained in the Person Centred approach to Counselling but I am trained in and incorporate other therapeutic techniques to help you to meet address your issues, and to move forward in your life.
For instance Cognitive Behaviour Therapy techniques to help you to identify and change negative thinking patterns and behaviours and Compassion Focused Therapy which can help you to be kinder to yourself and less self-critical.
I also have training in Schema Therapy and integrate these techniques in my practice. Schema therapy is a therapy which can help you to tackle enduring issues and patterns within your life and relationships. It can be very helpful where you have experienced difficulties in childhood for instance with narcissistic parents, abuse or instability .
I am an accredited Alcohol and Drugs Counsellor with over 10 years experience in this area including with alcohol, cocaine and cannabis issues. My specialisms are Addictions, Self-Esteem issues, Stress, Anxiety (including Generalised Anxiety, Health Anxiety, Panic disorder)and issues relating to difficulties or trauma experienced in childhood. I have experience in working with CPTSD and i am currently completing an extensive 2 year training in CPTSD through the Complex Trauma Institute. I have extensive experience in working with male clients from aged 17 and onwards.
I also am a qualified counselling supervisor and available weekday evenings, Wednesday daytimes/evenings and Friday mornings. Please note I do not work with children or couples.
I am an Accredited member of COSCA and abide by their ethical standards, http://www.cosca.org.uk. I am also a registered member of BACP. I also work for COSCA part time as a Development Officer overseeing validation of counselling courses, counsellor and trainer accreditation.
I strive to be warm, friendly, approachable and down to earth- I have lived in Glasgow most of my life but have relatively recently moved to Cumbernauld so I am sensitive to the needs of the local area, and the challenges we can find with accessing quality services!
My personal interests include animals (especially cats-very therapeutic to me!), cooking, football, fashion, art, upcycling and (90’s!) music.
Should you be unhappy with any aspect of my service please contact COSCA http://www.cosca.org.uk and follow their Complaints process. COSCA are a PSA accredited organisation who regulate Counselling and Psychotherapy in Scotland.
- Thrive Counselling Cumbernauld- Director-2016 to present
- COSCA (Counselling and Psychotherapy in Scotland) September 2018- Development Officer (Individuals and Courses)-Coordinating counsellor and trainer accreditation systems, Annual Trainers Event and counselling course validation. (part time)
- Glasgow Council on Alcohol- Part Time Alcohol Counsellor in Glasgow East End-2015-2018-Delivering counselling across Glasgow East End, City Centre and Kirkintilloch, supporting and supervising trainee alcohol counsellors.
- Volunteer Alcohol Counsellor: GCA-2011-2015
- COSCA (Counselling and Psychotherapy in Scotland)- Recognition Scheme Development Officer- 2015 to April 2017-Coordinating a quality assurance scheme for Counselling Organisations across Scotland.
- Welfare Advisor/ Employee Counsellor- East Dunbartonshire Council 2014-2015
- The Wynd Counselling Service- Volunteer Counsellor 2013-2016
- Glasgow University- Placement Student Counsellor- 2015
- Cruse Bereavement Care- Volunteer Bereavement Counsellor- 2012-2015
- Post Graduate Diploma in Person Centred Counselling and Psychotherapy (Stirling University) (2015)
- BA Psychology Honours First Class- Strathclyde University 2006
- Working with ADHD-Online Events 2023
- Intimacy after Assault-SARSAS-2023
- Queer Experiencing Trauma and Person Centred Therapy- Online Events-2023
- Fear and the Attachment System- Complex Trauma Institute-2023
- Fear and the Therapist- Complex Trauma Institute-2022
- Working with adult survivors of childhood trauma-CTI-2022
- Learn how to stop nightmares using the dream completion technique-Havens Technique-Online Events-2022
- Shame, sex and the body-Online events-2022
- Couples Counselling for One-Online Events/Link Centre-2021
- How to Overwrite the Trauma Response-Online Events-2021
- Trauma Work During Stage 1/Stage 2-Complex Trauma Institute-2021
- Exploring Hypervigilance- Complex Trauma Institute-2021
- Introduction to Somatic Therapies-Complex Trauma Institute-2021
- Working with Clients who are stuck- Complex Trauma Institute-2021
- Understanding the trauma of being a member of a high demand group- Online Events 2021
- Your brain loves yoga-Online Events 2021
- Working with the Impact of Severe Trauma-ACT Counselling-2020
- Applying DBT to the treatment of Trauma- Wildflower Counselling-2020
- Yoga and Meditation in Therapy- Online events 2020
- Coronavirus-Considering our responses and responsibilities-online events-2020
- Using Zoom for Counselling-Online events-2020
- How to work with a Clients Emotional Triggers-NICAMB-2020
- COSCA Counselling Supervision Certificate-2019
- Working with OCD-2019
- Rewind Technique-2018
- Schema Therapy Certificate-ACT Counselling Services 2017
- Trauma Informed Practice 2017
- Anger Management 2017
- Treating Generalised Anxiety and Panic Disorder 2017
- Drugs Awareness Training 2016
- Mindfulness Foundation Certificate 2015
- Mentally Healthy Workplace Training for Trainers 2015
- Coaching for Counsellors Certificate 2015
- Compassion Focused Therapy Certificate 2015
- SCOTACS Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Toolkit- Centre of Therapy 2012
- Advanced Alcohol Awareness Certificate 2011
- Accredited Alcohol Counsellor (Glasgow Council on Alcohol)
- CBCS Specialist Module in Bereavement and Loss (Cruse/COSCA) 2012
- ASSIST Applied Suicide Intervention Skills 2011
- Utilising Relationships to Aid Recovery Certificate
- COSCA Counselling Skills Certificate 2011